Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Alone

I was down in St G Tuesday. To beat the heat I got up at dawn and headed out for a ride. I rode 3 hours and just shy of 30 miles. I did not see a single sole. I like the freedom of having the open space to get lost like that. That is a big part of the reason moved out west. Space. I think it is taken for granted when we live out here.

Some might say it is foolish to head out into the wilderness alone. Perhaps, but sometimes the calculated risk has rewards: confidence in ones independence, peace, reflection and just enough of an adrenalin rush to make you want to do it again-as long as you survive.

I recently had the discussion that humans are a social animal and are dependent on each other, which in the long term I agree with. But sometimes you just have to escape-For therapy.

1 comment: